Re: DP performance

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:45:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> :
> :A machine running 1.2 with one or two opterons
> :goes into livelock at just about the same
> traffic
> :level, which is about the same behavior as
> with
> :older freeBSD versions. Are such things still
> :work in progress?
> :
> :Danial
>     The network path is still operating under
> the big giant lock.
>     We expect to get it out from under the BGL
> this year.
>     Could you explain the characteristics of
> the livelock you
>     are observing ?  Interrupt layer livelock
> shouldn't happen
>     with a modern network adapter, but it is
> certainly possible
>     that other forms of livelock are effecting
> the system.  The
>     biggest single problem is still the BGL but
> I am also rather
>     unhappy with our current scheduler.

I wonder why/how you say that? Interrupt livelock
has always been a way of life with FreeBSD 4.Its
fairly easy to reach while bridging with a large
number of firewall rules with an fxp or em
Just increase the rate until you lose the
keyboard. What is your idea of a "modern"

Is there a way to direct specific interrupt
activity to a single processor, or to tune the
behaviours in any way? It seems absurd that there
is no networking benefit to adding another
processor two years into the project.

Do You Yahoo!?