Re: pkgsrc users

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:15:37 -0700

Adrian Nida wrote:
..While it's not as user friendly as portupgrade, there is an additional utility you can install called pkg_chk that will perform a similar service...

It' really pkg_chk that I object to, not pkgsrc. I've been cursing at pkg_chk for two years because it trashes my gnome desktop almost every time I use it -- and it would have happened again this morning!

pkg_chk begins by deleting all dependencies *before* building their
replacements -- so a single package which fails to build will leave
your machine in an unusable state.  (Today it was evolution, but it's
always something.)

I would think that a ruby-savvy person could probably modify portupgrade
to use pkgsrc as its backend instead of the existing FBSD ports system.
That would eliminate my objections to pkgsrc.  Anyone know enough ruby
to confirm or deny?