Re: pkgsrc or dfports?

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:05:08 -0700

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

Out of curiosity, when mixing ports+dfport & pkgsrc ports having the target directory /usr/local what great evil will happen?

I am also juggling ports/pkgsrc (because I enjoy suffering ;) and I would think that the major conflict would be the common package tools such as pkg_add, pkg_info, pkg_delete, etc. Both packaging systems use these utilities with the same names, but they are not identical.

For the same reason, you should not use /var/db/pkg for both systems.
I picked /var/db/pkgsrc, for example.  You must also remember to add
/usr/pkg to your PATH -- which means you must use absolute pathnames
when you use utilities like pkg_info.  The whole thing seems to work
nicely as long as you can remember all the traps.

I also saw that pkgsrc in the dragonfly incarnation uses bmake, whats up with that why not make?

The 'Big Thing' with NetBSD is supporting many different platforms. I would guess that the pkgsrc people settled on one version of make that they could rely on to work on all those platforms. Just thinking about it gives me a headache. It reminds me of the Mormons and their support for polygamy -- you would have to be nuts to want such a headache ;o)