Re: mounting problem

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:18:24 -0700

topet wrote:
i was trying to mount my fat32 partition under dfly 1.3-preview, i was
about to add it in my disklabel...

My guess is that you usually use NetBSD or OpenBSD, am I right? Both of those kernels depend entirely on the disklabel when mounting *any* kind of partition -- so you need to add a partition to the disklabel before you can mount it.

BUT!

Both FreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD use a completely different mechanism
for mounting non-native partitions -- so *don't* touch your disklabel!

The FBSD/DFBSD kernels do not pay any attention to the disklabel
when mounting 'other' partitions -- they look at the DOS partition
table instead -- something that NetBSD/OpenBSD do not do.

Example:  I share a FAT32 partition /dev/ad1s5 between Windows and
DFBSD.  (ad1s5 is the first 'extended' partition on the second disk).

To mount that partition in DFBSD I do this:
# mount -t msdos /dev/ad1s5 /dos

If I didn't have an ad1s5 in my /dev directory I would need to make
one like this:
# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV ad1s5

BTW, when you install FreeBSD or DragonFlyBSD on the same physical
disk with NetBSD or OpenBSD you will definitely see error messages
about disklabels during boot.  This is normal, and the error messages
can be ignored.