Re: BSD Installer Technology Preview (2005.0616) Available - please help test

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:53:05 -0700

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:00:43 +0200
Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Pressey wrote:
>
> > http://cvs.bsdinstaller.org/iso-images/dfly-2005.0616-installer-preview.iso.bz2
>
> Hey, that looks great. Good to see you back again, Chris.

Thanks.  (Although I'm only "back" in the sense of "barely have time to
work on the installer again," much less DragonFly...)

> > - User may load any number of KLDs (kernel modules) before starting
>
> The "Do not load further modules..." item should be at the top of the
> list IMHO.

Changed.  Also, ESC cancels in many (maybe not all) places now too.

I'll try to roll another ISO in a couple of days, this one on -PREVIEW,
so that people who are having kernel troubles while booting with
-DEVELOPMENT can try it out too.

> > - Primary (BIOS) Partition Editor (no need to run fdisk manually)
>
> It took me a minute to realize that I have to type return in the
> "Partition type" field in order for the menu to pop up. Why not open
> the  menu directly or something like that (it seemed to me as if you
> can't  type anything there, anyway)?

Well, yes; it's a "drop down list".  I agree that it should be made
visually distinct from a regular textbox (a little 'down-arrow' icon on
the right seems to be popular; I'll try that.)

> > If I receive positive feedback on this preview, I'd like to move
> > forward and refine it into the 2.0 version of the BSD Installer.
>
> You should definitely do that. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

-Chris