Re: Questions about next PREVIEW

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:00:25 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:I'm really getting excited seeing all the improvements, bug fixes, and
:streamlining that have gone into DFly so far since the last Preview.  It seems
:the next one should be coming along soon, right?
:
:Will this require rebuilding ports as well?  And what exciting things will we
:lowly UP workstation users see?
:
:Jonathon McKitrick
:--
:Hoppiness is a good beer.

    I also intend to start a push to make buffer cache address 64-bit clean,
    which basically entails changing the block number fields into 64 bit
    offset fields.  Not an easy job and with dire consequences if I get it
    wrong.

-Matt

Apart from that, Me and Matt intend to work on userland file system development and deployment interface as well. No ground work has been laid just yet but once the other critical projects buffer cache related are completed, we plan to move on to this one.

I would also like to finish up my work on direct-to-DMA code but that is a little more involved than I had originally thought since buffer cache usage in the kernel is a little abused. :)

For the next few months you will see me doing things in the VFS and related areas of the kernel. Mostly cleaning up interfaces for loadable file systems, making it more structured and defined, etc, character set support things like that.

Hiten Pandya