Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:15:49 +0200

Hiten Pandya wrote:
<cut>

It's extremely important from a user point of view to start pushing pkgsrc's bootstrap with the system, otherwise it is a hassle. This would also imply in adding a NO_PKGTOOLS make option, for and when building snapshots and releases.

By next release, i.e. 1.4, people would have already got some form of pkgsrc bootstrap under use, thus simplyfing a whole lot of things from a migration perspective, i.e. most of the hard work of getting people to use it will be done.

It is vital that we choose and stick with a package management solution, otherwise we will be stuck in between two. Vanilla Pkgsrc will not be perfect, but it can be vastly improved upon by our own layer on top.
<cut>
Like others I heartly agree on this, please just one "official supported" ports system, I don't care which one it is just that we get over it.

--
mph