Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:15:49 +0200

Hiten Pandya wrote:

It's extremely important from a user point of view to start pushing pkgsrc's bootstrap with the system, otherwise it is a hassle. This would also imply in adding a NO_PKGTOOLS make option, for and when building snapshots and releases.

By next release, i.e. 1.4, people would have already got some form of pkgsrc bootstrap under use, thus simplyfing a whole lot of things from a migration perspective, i.e. most of the hard work of getting people to use it will be done.

It is vital that we choose and stick with a package management solution, otherwise we will be stuck in between two. Vanilla Pkgsrc will not be perfect, but it can be vastly improved upon by our own layer on top.
Like others I heartly agree on this, please just one "official supported" ports system, I don't care which one it is just that we get over it.