Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:38:42 +0100

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Illusion.   Every time I have ever used portupgrade, the result has
>    been a completely broken system.  Every time.

	Most odd - I use it about once a fortnight with nary a single problem,
but then I won't touch gnome or KDE with a bargepole let alone portupgrade :)

	I do use source builds by habit - I've been bitten several times
by binary ports depending on different system libraries to those I have
installed. I also tend to have a number of build options selected (like
I don't want a GUI for mplayer) - for flwm I even have a custom patch file
with my preferences in it :)

	I live in fear of ever deciding I need OpenOffice.Org :)