New project machines on order.

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:22:57 -0700 (PDT)

    After spending all day researching it I've finally ordered the
    parts to build two new machines.  I couldn't justify the cost
    of an opteron dual-core based MP box so I decided to go with
    Athlon 64 X2 based boxes built from parts.  The X2 is AMD's low-end
    dual-core offering.  Each box will have 1G of ram, a four-port 3ware
    SATA controller, and four 250G disks in a RAID-5 configuration
    (750G each).

    One machine will become our new package-building box, taking over
    that function from leaf.  It will be dedicated to building
    packages, kernels, and worlds 24x7, and it will also house the
    CVS and broken-out source repositories for FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
    Linux, and anything else we decide we want to mirror.  Leaf users may
    have noticed that the current partition holding that data (/FreeBSD) is
    a NFS mount from apollo.backplane.com and has no free space left.

    The second machine will replace my aging home infrastructure and allow
    me to shuffle around machines and disks and generally beef it all up, in
    particular the backup infrastructure.  The existing PATA drives will
    be replaced by the second 3ware RAID and one of the old towers will
    become the new backup box, with a 4-port PATA 3ware controller and
    inherit all the PATA drives, beefing up backup storage to ~600G or
    more (it's only ~200G now).

    Once all of that is done Leaf and Crater will get small makeovers too.
    Crater will probably inherit the 2-port 3ware controller currently on
    leaf and run in a mirrored configuration for data integrity.  Leaf's
    /home and /unused1 will be repartitioned into a smaller but backed-up
    /home with 1G quotas, and a larger /notbackedup partition that leaf
    users can throw core dumps, large extracts and other things into that
    will not have a quota and will not be backed up.

    This should all happen in the next few weeks.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>