GCC's Java

From: Steve Mynott <steve.mynott@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:51:53 +0100

With the discussion on the kernel list about getting Sun's JVM ported
I wondered whether anyone had the GCC Java backend (GCJ) ported
successfully?

I believe this is more likely to be relevant to the free software
community and DragonFly long term than Sun's version, since you can
distribute it in binary form and it's open source.

I have tried, and failed, to get GCJ working on PREVIEW using GNU GCC
release tarballs and pkgsrc.  The problem I had was actually gcc-c++
(which is needed by GCJ) failing to compile.  I had most success with
defining UNAME_s as "FreeBSD" which is probably the wrong route
anyway.

The in-tree version of C++ works, so I must need the patches to GCC
(basically the DragonFly configuration) from the tree.  Is anyone else
working on this?

Shouldn't these be commited back upstream to the GCC maintainers, so
that GCC builds directly anyway?

Or maybe we should have GCJ in base? :-)

Cheers Steve