Re: how do people play with different versions of DBSD on the same system?

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:32:00 +0800

Bob Bagwill wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 06:30:49 -0400, Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When superVFS is in place, would we be able to have a /release,
/preview, /development, and mount them over / at boot-time?

Would it not be easier to install one instance of each and use the same
/home for all of them, that would probably work even for multiple BSDs.

Sometimes.

But mail services, to name one, often use /home, and never for 100% of what they read and write.

Best if each OS install is fully self-contained, shares only 'non-OS sensitive' app/data storage.

True of CP/M 1.X & 2X, MPM, CCP/M, DOS, OS/2, and so on as well...... ;-)

Give 'em their own toybox.

My impression is (correct me if I'm wrong) that the main differences between
DEVELOPMENT, PREVIEW, and RELEASE are in the kernel, libraries, and toolchain,
in that order. Userland changes are pretty minor. Having to download, build,
rebuild, configure, reconfigure the other 95% is a pain.

Perhaps so, but a highly 'automated' pain. Start the cvsup and make scripts, go relax.

The alternative is too often trying to locate what unexpectedly changed off in some seldom-visited corner...
and will change again, differently, next cycle.

Any 'modern' OS is too big to keep the whole thing in view, and space is cheap.

YMMV,

Bill Hacker