Re: Switching from RELENG_4 to newer Release that supports ia64

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:20:10 +0200

Michael Schuh wrote:
we plan to change the Hardware from one of our Servers Running RELENG_4.
The New Hardware becomes CPU-Types Xeon w/ EM64 -> ia64 architecture.

Xeon with EM64T actually use the AMD64 aka x86-64 Instruction Set Architecture, not IA-64 aka the Itanium stuff.

Another possible change is the Change to DragonFlyBSD.
But here is the same again, to less knowledge about this step.

DragonFlyBSD currently only works in IA32/i386 mode on AMD64 processors.

Iportant to know is also that this is an Hot-Production-Server.

Then I suggest installing on a new machine, and testing thoroughly, and then replace in the field.

Cheers,
--
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx