Re: RC variable naming

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:53:20 +0100

joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
:I was thinking about deprecating the use of X_enable by effectively
:turning the helper function into a NOP after setting a special internal
:variable. That variable would be processed by load_rc_config to load the
:value of the old variable if necessary (read: if present). That would be
:active for 1.4 (maybe as option RCNG_OLDNAME?), so that users updating
:from 1.2 are not hurt too badly.
   Lets not do anything for 1.4.  We can figure out what to do after
   the release.  It seems to me that we will probably want to go
   the way of NetBSD to make pkgsrc integration easier.
Doing it now makes the migration a bit less painful, since (most likely)
lesser users are affected. The RCNG_OLDNAME is just an idea, I'd try to
make it fully transparent for the initial conversion (with the exception
of warning about deprecated usage). The changes to be made are localised
to /etc/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf.d/*.

I am all for this change. This would give us a transition period until the next release. Gets my vote (I think some of us discussed this already, but I can't remember who and where). +1

cheers
  simon