Re: DP performance

From: Steve Shorter <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:11:55 -0500

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:15:55AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :What kind of "benefits" would be realized for
> :systems being used primary as a router/bridge,
> :given that its almost 100% kernel usage?
> :
> :DT
>
>     Routing packets doesn't take much cpu unless you are running a gigabit
>     of actual bandwidth (or more).  If you aren't doing anything else with
>     the machine then the cheapest AMD XP will do the job.

	We've found the bottle neck for routers is CPU cycles neccessary to
process NIC hardware interrupts. At least for OBSD. Interupt mitigation, and
I suppose POLLING on Dragonfly may help but it isn't supported on all
hardware AFAIK.

	Why kind of parallelism, as far as processing separate NIC hardware
interupts on separate CPU's, can DragonFly currently support?

	-steve