Re: (u)ral driver

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:25:17 +0100

On 2006-02-15 21:44, Chris Rawnsley wrote:
Hello,
I am fairly new to DragonFlyBSD and Unix's (or is it better to say
"*nix's"? :O Trademark issues!!) in general. I have fiddled around
with Gentoo, Ubuntu, FreeBSD and now DragonFly BSD. Now I know that I
am probably perhaps sticking myself in the deep end, but so far I am
impressed with the BSDs more than GNU/Linux as everything seems more
solid. More impressed with DragonFly over FreeBSD as it seems to be
moving forward rather than clinging to the past.

Anyway, babbling over!

I have a D-Link DWL-G122 with a Ralink rt2500 chipset. Under FreeBSD,
I got this working using the ral(4) driver. I have looked for
information on how I might get this working in DragonFly and I found
this: http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2005-10/msg00063.html
Unfortuantly, with my lack of experience, I wasn't quite sure what a
diff file does. I tried to find out a bit and I understand that you
use the "patch" command to apply it to sources. Next problem; what
sources? I've looked inside the diff file and seen a few references
but I am not sure exactly what I want.

From looking at the patch it seems that the /usr/src/sys directory is the right one (but I'm not to good with patches). So what to do would be to get the sources if you haven't done so already (use cvsup and the appropriate file in /usr/share/examples/cvsup) and then to un-compress the patch somewhere (/tmp). Then go to the /usr/src/sys and type

patch < /tmp/ral.diff

and hope that the patch applies cleanly. If it doesn't it means that the source has changed too much since the patch was made. It might still be possible to fix those parts of the patch that didn't apply by manually editing the source if the differance isn't to big (or you know what you are doing).

Erik Wikström
--
 "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
 telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure