Re: overheating laptop when running cpu emulator

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:42:21 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, March 27, 2006 12:01 pm, Joe Talbott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop (HP nc8000) overheats (85-100F) when running cpu simulators like
> bochs
> and simulavr.  I guess this is a hardware problem but wanted to rule
> out any misconfigurations on my part or software issues that may be
> related.  The laptop doesn't overheat during buildworlds though this
> isn't a constant CPU workout either.  Included is a copy of
> /var/run/dmesg.boot and my kernel config file.

I doubt you can do much; virtual computer setups are notorious for giving
CPUs a workout.

There may be some features you can set with ACPI, though turning down
processor speed will severely slow down your virtual environment(s).  You
amy have already done this, but make sure that the fan is working at full
speed and the exhaust is not blocked.