Re: Shutdown

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:51:53 +0200

On 2006-05-10 00:12, Joseph Garcia wrote:
Sascha Wildner wrote:
Thomas Schlesinger wrote:

Hi,

when I shutdown my notebook (ASUS V6800), I get a message to power it of on console, but it doesn't happen "automagically" as in Linux. I believe to remember, that I've read somewhere something about an sysctl switch which enables this function, but I can't find it again. I'm not sure, it was DFly related, it could also be FBSD related.

How do you shutdown? 'shutdown -p now' should do the trick.

Sascha

Typically, I used 'halt -p' instead of 'shutdown -p now'. Now I'm wondering if there's a major difference. Either way, it shutdown my computer.

Not really sure but I believe that shutdown calls halt or reboot, so the results should be roughly the same. I think shutdown sends a message to all users logged in before calling halt, can be used to put the system down at a specific time etc. while halt just shuts down now.

Erik Wikström
--
 "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
 telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure