Re: Impressions on DFly and other questions

From: joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:16:36 +0200

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:30:30PM +0200, Saverio Iacovelli wrote:
> 1) I didn't found the openssl and openssh packages in
> pkgsrc, in the second moment I observed l'existence of
> the /etc/ssh and /etc/ssl directories. Are openssl and
> openssh packages in the base system for default? What
> is the reason of this choice.

security/openssl
seucrity/openssh

They are essential pieces to get a working system, that along is enough
reason to keep them.

> 2) Why not to create openssl and sendmail packages for
> to separe this functions and base system. OpenSSL or
> sendmail, they aren't functionalities always required.

You need a working mail system for a number of reaons e.g. cron. You can
always disable the sendmail build and remove it. You can also install
e.g. postfix from pkgsrc and use that by changing /etc/mail/mailer.conf.

> 3) What is the reason for the presence both ipfw and
> pf in the base system, it is a unnecessary redundancy.

ipfw and pf work differently.

Joerg