Re: BootBlocks.

From: "Pieter Dumon" <pieter.dumon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 20:07:58 +0200

On 6/3/06, talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And don't forget the BSD besides Desktop BSD don't state as goal
> to conquer the Desktop of peoples grandmothers.
> And especially DragonFly aims at Cluster and performance.

I understand that. I am also extremely sceptic on the interest of
the cluster stuff

Well, there's a lot of different cluster types of course, but I can give an example of a possible userbase that would be very interested: We have a small cluster for scientific computing (long and short running calculations), currently running Gentoo Linux with openMOSIX. Not that we think of moving to another OS in the near future, but it definitely is an example of an interested userbase: running a collection of relatively cheap machines seamlessly, with an "it just works" philosophy would be great. (it isn't "seamless" currently, as for instance openmosix doesn't very well support threading)

but let us say i am uninformed. Knowing a certain number
of so-called "computer professionals" i am quite convinced they dont want
to read hundred pages more than your proverbial grandmother.

hmm. Still, if you compare the /etc clutter of some Linux Distro's with the cleanlyness of the *BSDs, the BSDs are definitely doing better and lend themselves better for self-explaining configuration. If you point the users to "man rc.conf" and so on....

As for docs, I actually like the Handbook very much. If it were
accompanied by more HowTos or short guides... (But I'd say we'd better
help with that instead of talking about it here :-))
As for style, I'd like to refer too the Gentoo Linux docs:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
They are really great. Although the page may seem a bit cluttered,
there are seperate guides for specific points ("How do I install and
configure ...?"). (Notice that Gentoo is quite BSD-ish in its package
system and /etc, and some subproject is even planning on porting the
package system to DFly).
Still, I don't know what I like better, probably the "all-in-one" DFly Handbook