Re: What is DF aimed at?

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:24:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Ullrich <geekgod@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gergo Szakal wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 19:25:37 -0400
> > Scott Ullrich <geekgod@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the feature of his OS
> taken into consideration by
> 'desktop oriented.'

> Wright said this...
> >>>

> >>Sorry, meant to show the URL:
>
>>http://m0n0.ch/wall/list-dev/showmsg.php?id=12/75

> DragonFly from what I have
> pay close attention to
> ;)  At any rate, this is
> noise.

> > 'The primary foci are as follows:
> >
> > 	FreeBSD:	Servers
> > 	NetBSD:		Portability
> > 	OpenBSD:	Security and Reliability
> > 	Dragonfly	Desktops'
> >
> > Maybe I misinterpret, but I really don't want
> to argue about this. The devs know what their
> purposes are, and me, the user know what mine
> are. I don't care about others. So far DF seems
> a superb system for me, and I like if the
> purposes of a project are sharply outlined
> (improper English). So far I had only 1 problem
> that I could not resolve, but that is
> pkgsrc-wip related. The HDD containing my
> install is in the 2nd machine and works
> flawlessly.
>

> Dragonfly is all about bringing clustering to
> the masses.   It is pretty
> well outlined in our goals section.

Uh, how do you get that? Clustering implies
networking, and Matt has repeatedly stated that
he doesn't really care about network performance.

And clustering implies servers, which Matt has
recently and repeatedly stated aren't his focal
point. I don't see how you can have one as a goal
and not the other. Clustering required hightly
efficient networking first and foremost.

DT