Re: 3D Acceleration and DragonFly

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:10:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, June 7, 2006 8:08 am, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:

> Difficult question. DragonFly's kernel has direct rendering for a few
> cards (including some of the older Radeon chips which are still good
> for many things). However, if you want "good" 3D acceleration, you

The older chips in question is any ATI card older than the 9500.  It is
possible to find ATI 7500 cards very cheap, and the performance, while it
isn't like the newest cards, isn't bad.  I think support for 3D on some of
the newer ATI chipsets is trickling into xorg, but I don't know how
complete it will be, especially on DragonFly.

I think there's some support for 3D on a few SiS cards, or Intel's i740
chipset, but they aren't exactly zippy.

I had trouble here getting it to work, but that is in part because I am
also trying to run multihead.  In my experience, if you just want to have
3D screensavers in xscreensaver, you practically don't need hardware 3D
support.  If you want to be running Quake 4 (is that possible?), you
probably will want another operating system.