Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

From: Rob Andrews <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:43:14 +0100

On 14-Jun-2006 13:54.52 (BST), elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 > Sure, old BSD users will have a strange fetishist nostalogy for Sendmail.
 > If we are to have a full blown MTA such as Sendmail in the base system,
 > why not have a mailserver that most Linux admins don't hate to use?

That's more than a little harsh.

sendmail configuration is based entirely around the precompiled mc file.
You can configure it in around 8 lines and have a clean configuration
that isn't an open relay. It's less of a stress to setup virtual hosting
in sendmail than mangle the default exim configuration to do so.

Once the configuration file is made, it is expanded by the m4 tool into
the final configuration file (referred to as the cf file). If you are
mistaking the two, you are possibly insane. It takes no effort to edit
the mc configuration, run m4 on it and HUP the sendmail process without
having to edit the huge cf file.

Secondly, who are "most Linux admins"? Speaking as an agnostic fellow,
I've administered GNU/Linux servers with sendmail. And I'd do it again,
as well.

I was with the suggestion of removing it and leaving mail.local behind,
but removing sendmail for a reason of possible misinformed opinion makes
little sense.

--
rob andrews                       :: pgp 0xb35ff721 :: rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx