Re: DragonflyBSD on the desktop (was: Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:41:04 -0700 (PDT)

:Is there an official binary driver policy for DragonFly?  I understand
:people want the fast GUI and stuff to work, but giving in to the crap
:that companies push on the open source community isn't acceptable in
:my opinion.  Its just going to ultimately prolong the problem and
:diminish the efforts of people trying to get companies to open up
:their drivers.
:
:Personally, I would say its good if you don't support the likes of nvidia.
:
:-Kevin

    I am not particularly interested in supporting binary only drivers
    considering past experience where the vendors have supplied them, but
    then not bothered to keep them up to date or fix bugs or support
    new versions of the OS.  NVidia has been especially anti-social in
    this regard.  If we want anything that 'lasts', it has to be native.