Re: MySQL timings

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:57:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, June 19, 2006 10:08 am, Dimitri Kovalov wrote:
> I have a test application that loads a database with about
> 20K records. Just sequential writes and I get very strange
> results. With 1 CPU it take :49 and with 2 cpu it take
> 2:55. Is this possible? Its a slow disk but I surprized by
> results.

MySQL performance is historically poorer under FreeBSD, and we probably
inherited the general malaise.  (Note I'm saying that without benchmarking
it myself...)  You may want to look at:

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/27/1243207
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/06/15/freebsd-tests/
http://wikitest.freebsd.org/MySQL

Interestingly, that second link shows much better results with a
4BSD-style scheduler, which is what we pretty much have now.