Re: est module

From: Thomas Schlesinger <schlesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:21:34 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 22. Juni 2006 18:24 schrieb joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 06:00:36PM +0200, Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
> > But I get an error, too, when loading it:
> > Enhanced SpeedStep (1308 mV)  - unknown CPU or operating point.
> > module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (est, dea64ecf, 0) error 45
>
> Can you try to disable BIOS control over the CPU frequency first?
> It might have activated a not-yet known frequency. Also write down the
> power and the measured CPU freq for later addition :-)
>
> Joerg

Joerg,

this are the options, I've found for CPU-related things:

Menu Advanced/CPU Configuration:

MAX CPUID Value Limit (was DISABLED):
This should be enabled in order to boot legacy OSses unable to support CPUs
with extended CPUID functions

Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) tech. (was AUTOMATIC):
Maximum: CPU speed is set to maximum
Minimum: CPU speed is set to minimum
Automatic: CPU speed is controlled by Operating system
Disabled: Default CPU speed

Menu Power:
CPU Power Saving (was ENABLED):
System automatically adjusts CPU performance to reduce system power
consumption

With this settings, Speedstep did work in Linux.

I've set the CPU Power Saving to DISABLED, but that didn't help, the same
error occurs. I've also booted with CPU Power Saving DISABLED and without
ACPI, same thing.

I should mention, that I've this setting in my /boot/loader.conf:
debug.acpi.disabled="sysresource", Otherwise, I don't have a keyboard when
booting with ACPI enabled.

Thomas