Re: NVIDIA FreeBSD Kernel Feature Requests, interesting info for dfly?

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 07:20:14 +0200

Op zaterdag 1 juli 2006 01:35, schreef Jose timofonic:
> Hello,
>
> I found this on osnews
> (http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=15056) and maybe
> it can be interesting for DragonFly too...
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-June/016995.html

It's probably not. Here's why:

Short answer:
	NVIDIA apparently has no interest in DragonFlyBSD.

Long Answer:
	I used to be the maintainer of the DragonFlyBSD NVIDIA driver when the
FreeBSD 4 userland and ours were the same ABI-wise. The only thing I needed
to port was the kernel parts, and they were more or less open source (modulo
one blob object which contained some OS-independant things). Suddenly, NVIDIA
decided to ditch the FreeBSD 4 userland support and the only reply I got from
them was similar to the short answer above minus the word "apparently" plus a
lame excuse about not having the resources to release for another platform
(which they contradicted by releasing drivers for Solaris).

Porting the kernel bits is easy, because hey, that stuff has source I can muck
with. The userland parts are closed up and they won't provide binaries that
are compatible with our userland. So that leaves us stuck.

Unless of course they suddenly contact us again about supporting DragonFlyBSD,
but that doesn't seem likely.

The real fix here would be for NVIDIA to stop being bone-headed and just open
source that stuff so more people can have a go at it, or, and that's a pretty
big "or", them talking to a developer (like, oh, say, me for example) that
will do the porting for them. Unless they suddenly see the light, fat chance
they will go for either.

[snip text from nvidia]

> Personally I don't like the use of closed-source
> device drivers, but maybe some suggestions mentioned
> on that message thread can be good for giving some
> ideas and improving DragonFly in many tasks too.

I doubt it.

> Devs: What are your think about it? :)

My opinion? Well nice for FreeBSD. But it's most probably not for us.

Cheers,
Emiel
--
You need more time; and you probably always will.