Re: Setting up PPP and ADSL

From: Joseph Garcia <bsd_usr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:33:00 -0700

Petr Janda wrote:
Oh by the way, I can use PPPoE too. Whichever is easier to set up.

Petr Janda wrote:

I have an Linksys ADSL gateway router, and I use PPPoA at the moment. However, I would like to set it in bridge mode(which is easy) so that the PPP terminates on my DragonFly server. Ive never worked with PPP on a unix box, only on Cisco routers though. I was looking through /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and ppp man page but it seems to be about setting up PPP for dial up. Is anyone doing the same to give me some clue about how to configure the ppp0 interface for my ADSL?

Cheers,

Petr

I don't know much about PPPoA, but in the past I have used FreeBSD with userland ppp with PPPoE support to do exactly what you're doing. This was a few years ago when I had DSL and it required PPPoE.

Like I said, that was on FreeBSD but I'm pretty sure that DragonFlyBSD has the same functionality (since it was born from FreeBSD) with it's userland ppp.

Take a deeper look at the userland ppp. I had setup the ppp program to automatically dial (not modem dial but PPPoE dial) when Internet traffic tried to go through.

Anyway, bottom line is: Look at userland ppp and ppp.conf.

Joey