Re: Does Java work on DragonFly?

From: Jon Hamilton <hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:17:57 -0500

Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, said on Tue Jul 18, 2006 [03:53:05 AM]:
} I want to install Eclipse/RadRails, but I need JRE. I installed
} /usr/pkgsrc/lang/sun-jre15 but it seems to be broken.
}
} [elevator] ~% sun15-java
} Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
} location - find_vma failed
} Bad system call (core dumped)
}
} Anyway, is there any usable Java JRE or even JDK for DragonFly yet? Im
} looking for an easy solution.

The JDK in pkgsrc-wip for 1.4 does work.  It requires the Linux JDK for
bootstrapping but once you build the native version you can remove the Linux
version (the install is all managed by the pkgsrc build).

See http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2006-07/msg00072.html
for a pretty good summary of how to install pkgsrc-wip and do the build.
It requires a bit of hoop jumping due to licensing restrictions but does
work.

If you need help or have questions getting this built, feel free to contact
me off-list.  I'm by no means an expert but did get it working for my single
java application :)

--

   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@xxxxxxxxx