Re: Compaq Evo boot problem

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:21:41 -0700 (PDT)

::I was told on IRC yesterday that our fdisk has issues by setting the CHS =
::information to a wrapped value instead of just willing it with ones.  Don=
::'t know if that is the culprit, though.
::
::cheers
::  simon
:
:    I should be able to test it easily since I have to set my test machines
:    to use Large mode to make them recognize DragonFly.
:
:    If it does fix the problem then I will change the fdisk program to
:    default to writing out all 1's instead of wrapping.

    Well.  I tested it with very little luck.  I couldn't get the BIOS to
    auto-detect 'large' mode by putting all 1's in the ending CHS fields.  In
    fact, the BIOS hung completely and I had to disconnect the disk drive
    to get back to the setup screen to put it back into 'Large' mode.

    I also tried putting all 1's in both the starting and ending CHS fields,
    with the same results.

    This is on a shuttle box.

    I was not able to find any official documentation on how the CHS fields
    should be set for BIOSes to auto-detect Large or LBA mode.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>