Re: Locked out - need a little help (caution: n00b meter on high!)

From: Oliver Fromme <check+j3boe100rss3bdiv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Aug 2006 14:26:25 GMT

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Otherwise use ed(1).  It even works with dumb terminals or
 > > no $TERM at all.  Using ed(1) isn't difficult, especially
 > > if you only need to replace a single line in a config file.
 > > Every admin should know how to do that.  :-)
 >
 > yuck.  just use ee(1).

Yuck.  ee is horrible.  :-)

 > Nice + sweet + doesn't care about termcap :)

It does care.  I just tried it from within a jterm:  It
puts a mess on the screen and it even took me some efforts
to only quit out of it.

Besides, ee(1) lives in /usr/bin, while ed(1) is in the
root filesystem so it's available in single user mode when
you can't mount /usr for some reason.  Also note that ed(1)
is available on every UNIX system, so a serious UNIX admin
should be familiar with it (at least to the point to be
able to perform emergency surgery on files until another
editor -- e.g. vi -- can be used).

BTW, the Solaris manpage still says:  "The ed utility is
the standard text editor."  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver