RE: SATA to CF -- great for embedded DFly firewalls

From: "James Mansion" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:43:09 +0100

>    Well, you can always boot single-user (boot -s).  The root filesystem
>    will be mounted read-only and no service will be started.

That wasn't quite what I had in mind either, though thank you for
your time.

Have you looked at Puppy linux or SLAX (or the linux-live scripts?)

These make it rather easy to run from compact flash or an arbitrary
readonly source, and then have a means to store small customisations
back.

I'm *assuming* that the setup for the CDROM isn't generic enough
to handle that sort of thing - or is it?

(If I had broadband I'd download and try it - but I just have iSDN
so getting ISOs for the hell of it is a chore).

James