PF concerns again

From: Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:25:40 +0200

I would like to use DragonflyBSD as a filtering bridge. Bridging works all right, so does PF - except for active FTP. I know I could use ftp-proxy (from within inetd), but ftp-proxy is not an elegant solution, and rdr rules are ignored on bridges as far as I know. The solution would be ftpsesame ( http://www.sentia.org/projects/ftpsesame/ ), which is in pkgsrc-wip, but that does not compile, and on the pkgsrc-review list my mails regarding this are (almost) repetitively ignored. Anyway, this is not a place to complain.

My concerns:

1) The update process to OpenBSD 3.9's PF has started (according to Simon). Will this also invoke adding the revamped ftp-proxy to the base system?
2) How about adding ftpsesame to the base system? It is BSD-licensed, and compiles in a few secs. If so, it should also have a rc script, and in rc.conf it could have variables like: ftpsesame="YES" ftpsesame_options="-i ed0" (this is also relevant if it just gets fixed in pkgsrc).

Thanks for the answers, and sorry for bothering again, but I think these subject are important from the usability point of view.