Re: System downtime wednesday for maintainance.

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

:I've had similar problems with the Asus A8N-SLI Delux and Premium
:motherboards. After about 6 months, they would not longer start without
:reseting the CMOS. Soon after I could only get them to start after
:temporarily grounding the green power-on wire connected to the ATX power
:  connector till the fans spin, and then hitting the case's power switch.
:
:I also used a power supply of another A8N-SLI Delux to test these
:motherboards. After transferring the power supply back to the original
:motherboard, that board immediately developed the same issues.
:
:Replacing all the power supplies with brand new ATX version 2.2 power
:supplies seems to have fixed it so far, though I have had one of them
:spontaneously turn off a few times as if the motherboard had overloaded
:the power supply.
:
:This seems to be a common problem with the A8N boards.
:
:- Jason

    Wow, I never realized those boards were so flakey.  I always thought it
    was something I did when I put the boxes together but Google is full of
    reports.  The machines have always run perfectly in all respects except
    for when I had to power cycle them (well, and that one incident where
    three hard drives got fried during a power failure).

    Hopefully the new ones I'm getting, which are a more recent model (the
    one with the heat pipe technology) won't have the problem.

    I tried the green wire trick and managed to get one of them working again,
    but the other MB looks fried... I think it may have been from when the
    power supply dropped out of its corner while I was fiddling with it.
    I must have broken something more seriously on the motherboard.  Ah well.
    with both MBs slated for replacement I guess it doesn't matter that I
    destroyed one :-)