Re: Pacman?

From: Csaba Henk <csaba.henk@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:48:04 +0200

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 02:05:25PM +0200, Andreas Hauser wrote:
> csaba.henk wrote @ 17 Aug 2006 05:52:41 GMT:
> > them). They let everything meddle in the basic /{usr/,}{{s,}bin,lib}
> > hierarchy and that's a very bad idea IMHO. Especially on BSD.
>
> Use a chroot. Pacman can do this via an option.
> There is even a dragonfly libc package for pacman ;)

Could you elaborate on it please? Googling for pacman+chroot gave
many hits, but neither reveals me how it works.

The following is what I have trouble with: say you install pacman
packages into a chroot under /usr/pacman. You install package foo into
the chroot, which will end up in installing files like /usr/bin/foo,
/usr/share/foo/mime-types (in the chroot environment). Now you want to
use foo from your usual global perspective. The program to run is then
at /usr/pacman/usr/bin/foo. Adding /usr/pacman/usr/bin/ to the PATH, foo
can be started. However, it will look for its mime type database under
/usr/share/foo/, while that will be avaliable at
/usr/pacman/usr/share/foo/. So the mime type db won't be found and foo
won't work properly. How can you work this around?

In one sentence: I can see how can you change DESTDIR with a chroot
trick, but I don't see how you could adjust the PREFIX this way.

Csaba