shutdown on BSD and Linux

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Sep 2006 10:28:44 GMT

I've long had a question on the shutdown process.  Linux systems run a
separate shutdown script for every process that was started at boot,
and can take a minute or two to shutdown.  FreeBSD and Dragonfly, as
far as I can tell, just kill all processes, flush buffers, unmount
filesystems and shutdown/poweroff, which takes about 5 seconds.

So what's up?  Is BSD-style shutdown dangerous, or are the Linux
people stupid?

The question came to my mind again when I saw Ubuntu's specification
for shutdown in their future versions:

Basically, it says the majority of init scripts needn't be called at
shutdown because the processes can just be sent signals and trusted to
do the right thing.  However, some controlled shutdowns *do* need to
be done.  Why can the BSDs get away with not doing these controlled

BTW - the poweroff on my laptop, with Dragonfly and FreeBSD (last I
checked), is also accompanied by a rather alarming and short-lived
whine, as if a spinning disk or fan was suddenly stopped.  I don't get
this sound with linux or windows.