Re: shutdown on BSD and Linux

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:13:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, September 7, 2006 12:46 pm, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> PS:  By the way, recently someone suggested in a FreeBSD
> mailing list that start scripts could be run in parallel
> if they don't depend on each other (which rcorder(8) can
> easily find out).  It would probably speed up booting.
> However, I don't know if anyone is actually working on
> implementing that.

As I recall, Apple's launchd is a replacement for rc (and init and inetd),
and runs in parallel.  (My Mac does start up very fast indeed, though
launchd is not the only reason)

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/launchd.8.html

There is/was a SoC project for bringing it to FreeBSD:

http://wikitest.freebsd.org/launchd

It'd be neat to have in DragonFly, though it would appear to require some
quantity of work.