Re: shutdown on BSD and Linux

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Sep 2006 05:26:59 GMT
>>> BTW - the poweroff on my laptop, with Dragonfly and FreeBSD (last I
>>> checked), is also accompanied by a rather alarming and short-lived
>>> whine, as if a spinning disk or fan was suddenly stopped.  I don't get
>>> this sound with linux or windows.
>>
>> I had an older system that would do this with the fans; I never saw a
>> negative effect.  I assumed it was some setting that was tripped as
>> systems were shutdown, which made the fans react as if the temperature was
>> too high - perhaps the equivalent of a burst of static.

I never saw a negative effect either.  It was just an alarming sound.

>I have a computer on which the fan-controls does not start working until
>somewhere post BIOS, before that they run for full. Might be something
>like that but in reverse, the fan-control is disabled and the fans run
>for full by default. How does the computer sound when it starts?

My fans are pretty noisy and come on full blast on power-on, die away
initially, and come on again after a bit.  Then they stay on.  It's an
old Pentium-IV based HP laptop and runs pretty warm (and I live in a
tropical city).

I'm not totally sure this poweroff-time sound is the fan though.

Rahul