Re: pthread-changes from 1.6 to 1.7?

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:34:34 -0700

Thomas Schlesinger wrote:

>> The pkgsrc-package lang/ruby18-base doesn't build on 1.7.

> Update: with a patch of Joerg, I was able to build ruby18-base.

I was just looking at the 'configure' script for that package,
hoping to provide you with a patch -- but it was a bit too
complicated for me :o(

I'd love to know what the solution is -- could you post the
patch here, or to my email address?

This is (at least) the third package which has failed to test
properly for the correct threading library.

The basic problem is whether an OS uses libpthread or libc_r
for the threading library.  Unfortunately, I have no idea why
developers choose one over the other -- maybe someone here could
'splain it to us?  I get the feeling that there is a lot of
history involved in this story.

(And now we have libthread_xu which is intended to replace both
of the others, if I understand correctly...)