Fwd: What do do when neither cdrecord/burncd work for me anymore?

From: "Yury Tarasievich" <yury.tarasievich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:28:45 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Yury Tarasievich <yury.tarasievich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:27:55 +0300
Subject: Re: What do do when neither cdrecord/burncd work for me anymore?

I've seen such error when in-system cd-recording support, either in
freebsd or in dragonfly, was fundamentally broken -- or uncapable of
handling hardware and/or medium. Sometimes it came to writing 896 Kb
and bailing out with similar message about -1. Sorry I can't be more
specific, it's all from memory.

On 19/09/06, Justin C. Sherrill <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, September 19, 2006 12:39 pm, Jamie wrote:
> In <450FFF45.20204@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> mentions:
>>elevator# burncd -f /dev/acd0c data plan9.iso fixate
>>next writeable LBA 0
>>writing from file plan9.iso size 258006 KB
>>written this track 1120 KB (0%) total 1120 KB
>>only wrote -1 of 32768 bytes err=16
>>
>>fixating CD, please wait..

> I'm on a limb by saying this, hopefully it won't seem to silly, but, when
> you last compiled the kernel, did you comment out SCSI support? (including
> any emulated SCSI IDE-type drivers)

burncd doesn't require SCSI support, though cdrecord does.  It's stopping
before writing any data at all, which makes me wonder: Is there only one
CD burner in this system?  Is it located at /dev/acd0c?  Is there a CD in
it?  Is the CD blank?