Re: Default tar revisited

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:03:19 -0700 (PDT)

:Reviewing FreeBSD mailing lists was quite challenging, but here's some issu=
:...

    Cool.  The only problem area that I see is the 'l' option.  That
    option is (or was) used a *LOT* by people using tar to back-up
    partitions.  I think we can survive as long as anyone attempting
    to use the option gets a fatal error which describes the situation
    in clear terms.

    I have never used --multi-volume or --use-compress-program.  Those
    are things that probably ought to be piped anyhow.

    Were there any issues regarding compatibility between bsdtar and gtar?
    e.g. someone taring up with gtar and detarring with bsdtar, or vise-versa,
    for archive transfers between machines ?