Re: Using #undef correctly?

To: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:31:09 +0200

walt wrote:
DragonFly defines 'timezone' as a character string in <time.h> but linux
expect the number of seconds west of UTC (hence the long).

I'm not trying for a definitive fix here, I'm just puzzled why my added
'#undef' failed to change anything.

Cluestick, please?

The 'timezone' it is choking on is the prototype for our timezone(3) function. timezone() is a function here and a variable in System V'ish environments.

The reason why your #undef didn't have an effect is that #undef is the counterpart to #define and the timezone prototype is just a normal prototype and not a #define'd preprocessor macro.

Might struct tm's tm_gmtoff field be of more use? Not sure about the "east/west of GMT" issue, though. See http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man3/timezone.3.html e.g. for Linux' timezone semantics.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx