Re: Is fc-cache broken on -current?

From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:12:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Bill Hacker wrote:

> walt wrote:
>
> > Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> > > Works fine here. Can you delete all old font caches just to make sure
> > > that it doesn't try to reuse those?
> >

> > Bah.  The problem was the old fontconfig config-files in
> > /usr/pkg/etc.  I noticed that the update announced that
> > there were existing config files so they were not touched.
> >
> > The problem was that those config files should have been
> > replaced during the update!
>
> Ordinarily NOT by the 'update'.
>
> But by the 'updater',
>
> .. with care to preserve whatever customization is still appropriate, if any.
>
> That's why the general rule is to produce a message and NOT over-write.
>
> Easy to get the new set that had been skipped spit-out again.
>
> Much harder to recover lost ones automatically, and silently, over-written.

On deinstallation of a package, the package's registered configurations
are compared with the versions in the share/examples directory.

If different, then it is removed.

On a package installation, if the configuration does not exist, it will be
copied into place from the (newly installed) share/examples version.

In the case of fontconfig, the fonts.conf file should not be manually
edited by the admin as the customizations should be in local.conf.