Re: Network Slowdowns?

From: nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jamie)
Date: 13 Oct 2006 09:32:53 GMT

In <452cfc69$0$788$415eb37d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> mentions:
>The real issue still seems to be an 'intermediate level' hardware, firmware, or
>driver glitch.

The boggling part of that is.. it worked (more or less) fine with Linux. Occasionally
slow-down on write, but other than that it was quite speedy, for reading, I couldn't
usually tell the difference between local and nfs.

>(one presumes our cable-plant and any routers are in good shape?)

Should be, worked fine before, different machine, same card same cables, etc..

>Hmm....
>
>What DOES happen if you aliase-up a second IP on your NIC and run
>'hardware-less' test traffic that doesn't even leave the box?

Good idea!

Tried it, speed was about what I expected ~7mb / sec over NFS. (Of course..
this right away, I don't know if it would degrade over time)

Someone suggested changing the duplex settings on the other side, I know
it's running full duplex on DragonFlyBSD, but.. I don't know how to even
find out linux side. I'll have to research that I guess.

Regarding NFS lockups, I can change them to be TCP, I've tried both no
difference.

The lights show 100mbs if that means anything. :-)

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
guhzo_42@xxxxxxxxx (rot13)                User Management Solutions