[progress] Debugging evolution-2.8 on DragonFly

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 06:21:00 -0700

I'm still plugging away at evolution, try to find why it runs
properly as root, but not as a user.

I've tracked the problem down to one system call in libgmodule.so
which is part of glib2:

(gdb)
_g_module_symbol (handle=0x294b2500, symbol_name=0x2897c57d
"Bonobo_Plugin_info")
    at gmodule-dl.c:144
144       p = dlsym (handle, symbol_name);

The call to dlsym() succeeds when running as root, but fails when
running as a user:  it returns 0x0.

When I use gdb to trace into dlsym I wind up in ld-elf.so.2, which
has no debugging info compiled in, and so I get quite lost.

Can anyone suggest a reason why dlsym() should fail for this
particular call when it clearly works correctly at other places
in the same (evolution) program?

My first thought is that something should be installed setuid
root, but when comparing DF to NBSD, FBSD, and linux, there
is no difference in file perms (that I can spot).

Any cluesticks handy?