Re: Release Schedule for 1.8

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:23:57 -0800 (PST)

:What's the status of VKERNEL stuff? was one of the major things for
:this release.

    I am going to try to get it done in 2 weeks.  No guarentees.  It
    can't hold up the release.

    But it won't be production for at least two months after that.  e.g.
    we'll need to write a network driver and do some other bits to make
    it truely useful.  Once I get the initial virtual kernel working
    I will impose on other developers to work on some drivers for it :-)

:We are having a lot of problems with our IRQ routing code, i remember
:you proposing a solution for it some time ago, do you think that it's
:doable in time for the release? I wouldn't like to ship with stability
:problems and in my opinion we should delay the release until that is

    The IRQ issues are the same we've had since inception.  i.e. no better
    and no worse then before.  We have workarounds (build SMP without
    APIC_IO,and use the emergency interrupt poll sysctl).  I don't think
    we can rush a solution in two weeks.

:About testing, i think that we should start looking to do automated
:regression testing of the system as much as we can. TET[1] looks like
:a very good solution and FreeBSD is probably going to use it[2], so we
:could get a lot of regression tests for free that apply to DragonFly.
:[1]: http://tetworks.opengroup.org/
:[2]: http://wikitest.freebsd.org/TetIntegration

    I dunno.  I'm always skeptical about such frameworks and wonder
    whether porting them actually saves us any time over building
    our own.  I do think testing will become a lot easier with the
    virtual kernel giving us a totally self contained environment for
    three files (kernel binary, memory image file, disk image file).