RE: 'CD server'

From: "Nigel Weeks" <nweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:42:58 +1100

>     I think there would be a bit of work involved to make it
> crash-free.
>     Like adding code that allows the CD to be force-unmounted
> after having
>     been taken out and making sure the filesystem doesn't
> panic when it
>     suddenly loses it.  Things like that.  It's certainly
> possible to do it.
>
>     No existing OS does a very good job at it, not even windows.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>

I did a very similar thing to this a few years back with FreeBSD.

I had two small scripts that were fired by Samba on connect/dis-connect to a
share, that mounted and dismounted a cdrom drive.

Samba usually took a minute or two before it 'disconnected' a drive, but it
worked quite nicely.

Forceful disconnects shouldn't be required if you let Samba finish with it
first, and then umount the drive.

Nige.