Re: Request for swapcontext and getcontext to be ported to our libc

From: "Matt Emmerton" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:47:11 -0500

Simon wrote:
> Matt Emmerton wrote:
> > I've toyed with it a bit, but there are some issues I'm not sure how to
> > solve (such as accessing curthread -- a kernel construct -- from
userland).
> > I would welcome discussion with the person who suggested it (corecode?).
>
> In which way do you have to access curthread?  That's a kernel-only
> entity, I don't think you have to access that in userland.  Besides, if we
> take in the system call version, there is no need for a pure libc based
> version anymore.

Point taken, and that's definitely the path we're going down at the moment.

However, I recall it being mentioned that the proliferation of syscalls is
unneccessary, so a libc implementation would keep the kernel lean.  The
reason we need curthread is to get access to the frame construct, which is
neccessary to save the context.

Regards,
--
Matt Emmerton