Re: RFR: Port of FreeBSD *context routines to DFly

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:13:00 -0800 (PST)

:This sounds fine by me.  I will let you do this -- it seems to me that there
:are other functions in machdep.c that really belong in the cpu/ hierarchy as
:well, although I don't have a very keen eye for the cpu/machine distinction
:(at least on i386).
:
:Regards,
:--
:Matt Emmerton

    Yes, you are absolutely correct... its because there WAS no cpu hierarchy
    a few weeks ago... it was a machine-only hiearchy.  I created the cpu
    hiearchy and I've been slowly moving the cpu-specific code from pc32
    into it on an as-needed basis (i.e. code that both VKERNEL and PC32 need).

    I'm going to hold off on any commits for a day or two so we can discuss
    the system-call vs userland issues a bit more.  I am not leaning to either
    side, really.  In my view it is ok to have a few system calls that
    later become obsolete... that's what the COMPAT options in the kernel
    build are for.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>