Re: comparing cvsup vs. rsync

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:16:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, April 10, 2007 11:32 am, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     We could just distribute the CVS tree and write a front-end utility
>     in csh or sh that we distribute along with the rest of the system
>     to do the nitty gritty work of actually checking something out into
>     /usr/src.  In fact, I think that would be preferable.

I am all for simple upgrades - the closer we can get it to a single
button-push for obvious upgrades like 1.8->1.8.1, the happier I'd be.

>     My only worry is figuring out how to run the rsync daemon safely.
>     I'm a bit paranoid about running things on crater but I do agree
>     that we would have to run the master rsync daemon there.

Is it feasible to run it in a vkernel?  External bandwidth, rather than
CPU or disk, is probably the choke point, so I would think there wouldn't
be much of a tradeoff of performance vs. security.