Re: request for some useful packages in livecd

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:25:19 +0200

km b wrote:
1. Initially I couldn't install it because kernel with nata support
was not available on the installation cd.

On the snapshot isos there is a NATA kernel available as /kernel.NATA.

2. After install I couldn't get any internet connectivity because the
bge driver doesn't support the revision of the Broadcom card that I
have.

Maybe that's just a matter of adding the PCI ID, maybe it is more work. could you please check out what other operating systems did to support this NIC?

3. Now I am trying to bring in the bge driver from the FreeBSD head
but some of the useful development tools such as cscope, vim are not
available.

While I use vim and cscope myself, I don't think they are essential tools on a plain live cd. I think our toolset is anyways outstanding, compared to other install CDs, especially considering the size of 80MB compressed. As soon as we include vim, somebody else will jump and ask for emacs.

For basic development, nvi and ctags are probably sufficient. AFAIR, our best developer also uses just nvi :)

cheers
 simon